Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: your used hearing aids should be donated versus getting rid of.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the overall population, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some type of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of those over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
This is very troubling. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to multiple health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. These health issues can be eliminated and in some instances reversed by hearing aids.
And the final convincing point is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings every single year. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into college and make a decent living when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are numerous volunteer organizations and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the correct recycling option for you. Or give us a call.